Monday, August 17, 2015

American Flag Historical Facts

     This week we went to the National Museum of American History in Washington DC.  In front of the building there were two letters. One letter was written by James Smithson who dedicated his money to education.  In the Museum, I saw the history of American flag.  It had thirteen stars which represent the states and the thirteen  stripes which represent the original 13 colonies.  I think  the American flag is  the symbol of American  nation’s strength and unity.  Also, I listened to the song for the flag and I saw a lot of pictures that show how they worked hard together to make the flags in a good shape. Also, I saw the picture for the woman who made it and I saw her house. I found the Star-Spangled Banner was the inspiration for the American national anthem.  In the history of the flag are the contributions of  two women  Betsy Ross and Mary Young Pickersgill.  Today the flag consists of thirteen horizontal stripes, seven red stripes alternating with 6 white. The stripes represent the original 13 colonies, the stars represent the 50 states of the Union. The colors of the flag are symbolic. The  red color symbolizes hardiness, the white color  symbolizes chastity and, the blue color  represents justice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment